Everyday Essentials | Hair Ties


I often feature my favourite haircare products on my blog but rarely talk about the essential hair tools which I rely on day after day. I wear my hair in a bun pretty much constantly. Yes, it gets boring but hey it keeps my hair out of my face and limits my morning hair routine to no longer than 5 minutes, which is a win in my eyes. My hair is the shortest it's been for a while, and yet with my transition (to texlaxed) it seems to have expanded outwards with more volume than ever. As much as I love having the appearance of big hair, trying to get it in a bun every day makes arm muscles I didn't know I had ache. I may have also broken a world record for the amount of metal-free hairbands I've snapped before successfully tying my hair up. I ended up looking for alternative hair ties which provide the hold I need without damaging my hair and these 3 have served me well.


Thick Elastics (£1.99/6 pack)
These thick metal-free scrunchies are just the right size with the right amount of stretch to make tying up my hair a breeze. I don't know the exact name of these but I got them from Pak Cosmetics (in-store). There's no glue holding the band together, it's just a rolled strip of stretchy fabric which means they've lasted me far longer than any other metal-free bands I've tried and I haven't managed to snap one yet!

Scunci Bungee Elastics (£3.99/5 pack)
Bungee ties are another good staple of mine and I got these ones in Superdrug. I found them a bit awkward to actually put in my hair at first as you have to place one hook into your hair before wrapping the cord around and hooking in the other side. Now I'm used to them I find them much easier to put in my hair than a regular hair tie. I can easily choose the tightness of my ponytail and it stays that way without slipping out or loosening throughout the day. I can effortlessly adjust the tightness of my ponytail if needed too. I was worried the hooks might cause some damage to my hair but I've never snagged or pulled out hair using these. In fact I lose more hair when I'm not using my bungee elastics. 

Invisibobble Hair Rings in Crystal Clear (£3.75/3 pack)
The invisibobble resembles a telephone cord which admittedly is a pretty strange design, but the idea is that the structure makes it difficult for a dent to be left in your hair after tying it up. They can be seen in your hair which is the downside for me but otherwise I quite like these. These are great for when I want to keep my hair straight but might have to tie it up temporarily. I have the clear rings which I got from Boots but you can get them in a few different colours. They're not very stretchy and can lose their shape but I usually just put them in a bowl of hot water to get them to shrink back to their original size.


What hair tools do you like to use?

Lesley x